Here it is: How to Build a Shower Niche with Cement Board? - Top Guide!
Products mentioned/ listed are reviewed personally and or extensively researched for your benefit and link to the direct product referred for your satisfaction and as a code of conduct and to provide transparency, the contents of this page may or may not contain affiliate links. Read More
Information presented on this post is strictly for educational purposes only. Feenixbloom reserves the right not to offer any advisory or brokerage services, and or recommend/ advise investors to trade or invest in particular stocks, securities or any other investments.
Using Cement Board To Build A Shower Niche?
Shower niches are a popular way to add storage and visual interest to your shower. You can build your own shower niche using cement board. This material is easy to work with and can be cut to the size you need. As this is a relatively easy project it can be completed within a weekend.
In this post i will share the steps you'll need to take to build a shower niche with cement board.
What materials/ tools are needed to build a shower niche with cement board?
To build a shower niche with cement board, you will need the following recommended tools and materials:
- Cement board - Tape measure - Level - Chalk line - Safety glasses - Work gloves - Circular saw - Hammer - Nail gun - Ruler or a Straight edge - Jigsaw - 5/8" Drill bit - 1" Hole saw - Drywall saw - Drywall screws - Construction adhesive - Caulking gun - Caulking - Fine grit sandpaper.
Materials/ Tools Recommended:
Instructions To Follow:
- Measure the space for the shower niche and then cut the cement board to fit using a circular saw.
- Use a level to draw a straight line on the cement board to indicate where the top of the niche will be.
- Using a chalk line, mark the vertical lines for the sides of the niche.
- Ensure you wear safety glasses and work gloves. Cut the cement board along the chalk lines using a circular saw.
- If the niche is not completely square, use a jigsaw to trim the board to the correct shape.
- Drill a 5/8" hole in the back of the niche for the shower arm using a drill bit that is the same size as the shower arm.
- Use a hole saw to drill a 1" hole in the center of the niche for the shower head.
- Apply construction adhesive to the back of the niche and then attach it to the wall using a nail gun.
- Apply caulking around the edge of the niche to seal it to the wall.
- Sand the caulking.
|What you pay!|
- How to build a shower niche with cement board
- Steps to cut the cement board to build a shower niche
- How to attach the cement board to the shower wall
- How to grout the shower niche
- Benefits of a Cement Board shower niche
- Are there any Disadvantages to using a cement board shower niche
- How to maintain your cement board shower niche
Choose Your Topic:
Onpage Links ↓
Other Related Pages Links ↓
How to build a shower niche with cement board?
Building a shower niche can be a daunting task, but with the right tools and instructions, it can be a breeze. In this tutorial, we will be using cement board to create our niche, make sure to follow along.
- Measure the dimensions of the shower niche and cut the cement board to size.
- Apply a layer of adhesive to the back of the cement board.
- Place the cement board in the desired location and press firmly into place.
- Apply a second layer of adhesive to the top of the cement board.
- Let the adhesive dry for 24 hours.
- Seal the edges of the cement board with caulk.
- Apply a waterproof sealant to the entire surface of the cement board.
Steps to cut the cement board to build a shower niche
When it comes time to cut the cement board to build a shower niche, there are a few things you need to know.
- First, you need to measure the size of the niche you want to create and then mark the lines on the cement board. You can use a straight edge to help you make straight cuts.
- Once you have marked the lines, you can use a utility knife to cut the board. Be sure to use a sharp knife and make sure to cut slowly to avoid mistakes. If you have to make any cuts at curves, use a jigsaw instead of a knife.
- Next the cement board is to be cut to size, you can attach it to the wall with screws or adhesive. Be sure to use a level to make sure the niche is straight before you attach it.
How to attach the cement board to the shower wall?
Here are a few steps to take for attaching the cement board to the shower wall:
- One way is to use thin-set mortar. You can find thin-set mortar at any hardware store. You will need to mix it with water according to the instructions on the package. Then, you will need to spread it on the shower wall using a trowel.
- Next, you will need to attach the cement board to the shower wall using screws or nails. Make sure that the screws/ nails are long enough to go through the cement board and into the wall.
- Another way to attach the cement board to the shower wall is to use construction adhesive. You can find construction adhesive at any hardware store. You will need to mix it with water according to the instructions on the package. Then, you will need to spread it on the shower wall using a trowel.
How to grout the shower niche?
Grouting the shower niche can be a bit tricky, but with a little preparation it can be a relatively easy process. Here are a few tips to help you grout your shower niche like a pro:
- Make sure the surface is clean and dry before you start grouting.
- Apply a thin layer of grout to the surface and use a grout float to smooth it out.
- Let the grout dry for about 15 minutes, then apply a second coat.
- Let the grout dry completely before using the shower.
Benefits of a Cement Board shower niche
A cement board shower niche is a great way to add extra storage to your shower. It is also a great way to add a little bit of extra character to your shower.
There are a number of benefits to installing a cement board shower niche and here are a few that you could keep in mind.
- One of the benefits of a cement board shower niche is that it is very durable. Cement board is a very strong material, and it is resistant to moisture and humidity. This makes it a perfect choice for a shower niche.
- Another benefit of a cement board shower niche is that it is easy to clean. Cement board is a non-porous material, which means that it does not absorb water or bacteria. This makes it a great choice for a shower niche.
- Finally, a cement board shower niche is a great way to add extra storage to your shower. A standard shower niche can typically measure anywhere around 24 inches by 24 inches, which is enough space to store shampoo, soap, and other shower supplies.
Are there any Disadvantages to using a cement board shower niche?
There are not many known disadvantages to using a cement board shower niche, however here are some of the most notable ones.
- One is that it can be difficult to cut the niche to the right size. If it is not cut perfectly, the cement board can crack.
- Additionally, the cement board can be quite heavy, so it can be difficult to install it by yourself.
How to maintain your cement board shower niche?
Maintaining your cement board shower niche is easy and only requires a few simple steps.
- First, make sure to clean the niche regularly with a damp cloth to remove any soap scum or dirt. If the niche is stained, you can use a mild detergent to clean it.
- Second, seal the niche with a waterproof sealant every 6-12 months where necessary. This will help keep moisture out and prevent the build-up of mold or mildew.
- Finally, check for any cracks or damage regularly and repair as needed. By following these simple steps, you can keep your shower niche looking great for years to come!
Trust Your Investments - Get ahead of the market!
Take your Investment strategy to the next level, Track what other investors are doing, get frequent investment updates and find insider info to make the best trading and investing decisions to maximise your profit and lead you to more wealth.
A free tool is now available to do just that. No Signups/ Login required, Built to help investors digest the most relevant content and make the best earning decisions.
This article was extensively researched and arranged to provide benefit to the intended viewer.
The contents of this page may or may not contain affiliate links, in which I may receive a small commission at no absolute cost to you.
These are products I fully recommend as the best options as of current, clicking a product and saving item to cart will allow you to lock in the best deal for that item.